Chemistry teacher training options

There are two routes into teaching chemistry. You can study a four-year combined degree in education and chemistry or take a one-year diploma course following your undergraduate degree in chemistry. And if these options don’t quite work for your circumstances, there are some alternative routes to consider.

Bursary for Chemistry teaching courses in Scotland

Bursaries are available for career changers who have been employed for at least three of the last five years and have already completed a Chemistry degree. Get more information about what could be available to you here.

Four-year university courses in education

For the four-year combined degree and other undergraduate degree programmes you must have at least:

  • English and two other National Qualifications at SCQF Level 6 (Higher Grade) AND
  • Mathematics and one other subject at SCQF Level 5 (or an accepted alternative, for example, National 5, Credit Standard Grade or Intermediate 2).

Check the entry requirements with the course provider.

PGDE university courses

Here are the universities you can study for a PDGE in Chemistry at secondary level. Entry requirements vary so it’s best to check with the course provider.

Alternate routes into teaching

These routes offer a little more flexibility in order to encourage diversity in the profession:

  • Supported Induction Route (SIR) with a focus on STEM subjects – University of Dundee
  • Combined PGDE with integrated Masters & induction year in Secondary STEM subjects – University of Strathclyde

A highlight of my career so far has been changing pupil’s perception and enjoyment of science. It’s a good feeling.

Maxine McNeill - Chemistry teacher at Bell Baxter High School, Fife

Read More

  • Was this information useful to you ?
  • yes   no